John Stevenson MP for Carlisle has welcomed figures that indicate that crime has fallen by more than a quarter (27 per cent) under this Government. This is the lowest level on record – according to latest figure from the independent Office for National Statistics.
The Government has been following an action plan to tackle crime by:
- Freeing the police to fight crime by cutting red tape and scrapping unnecessary targets
- Giving criminals tougher sentences so communities are protected and justice is done
- Giving the police the powers they need to tackle criminals, using the latest tools and techniques
- Stopping people from becoming criminals by tackling the root causes of crime
- Making the police answer to the community to help drive down crime in your area
John said ‘The Government has been focused on tackling crime to make Britain a safer place to live, work and raise a family. I am pleased that measures taken to tackle crime are working.
Crime continues to fall under this Government and has now reached a record low. In Cumbria crime recorded by the police has fallen by 11%. This is both testament to the Government and to the hard work of the Cumbrian Police Force.’